Disclaimer: I am not selling this product, no investment or interest in it (only in that it works to make my painting life more intuitive, immersive and less fussy). This is a tutorial review.
While it doesn't entirely replace nodes (it sort of builds them for you in the background), it is a time saving tool that takes you places within texture paint navigation, adds some buttons you didn't have (or know you had), and conserves resources for what's important. All for $29.99 or thereabouts. The other "coating" applications are too messy in my opinion and too expensive for my pocket book. This will do fine, and so far its doing very fine to get rid of my modeling scratches, particularly around the bevel areas and in the corners when I exceed my extrusion limit. I do that a lot. I love extruding.
So here are some initial photos (working backwards). I will be back with a more in depth tutorial like review within the next few days, and of course a photo of my finished Sholes and Glidden Typing Machine, circa 1870 or thereabouts.
(5 of 5) result so far, the uv texture surface is much better, bake on to the object and is ready for the next step - to have the decals and detailed paint added on to the surface.
(4 of 5) looks a bit more dramatic than it was, but uv issues (stretched vertices) caused scratches around bevels and in corners where holes were cut into extruded parts of the one piece model.
(3 of 5) In Blender the ground color (steampunk metal) was layered (multiply) into the ambient occlusion to create a new blended map, a process I formerly needed to do (earlier updates) in another image editor (GIMP).
(2 of 5) One button ambient occlusion was baked immediately after opening the model I made the day before. It took less resources than I usual, and I didn't have to generate a blank image to "print" the ao over.
(1 of 5) the typing machine model I made the day before, one piece extruded and unwrapped model. My only editing involved the packing of textures after I unwrapped the marked seamed uv. I then added a few loop cuts around the holes I made through some faces.